Wednesday 11 June 2008

knitted socks

    Queer Socks

I followed the, stoical guidance of Pam Allen’s ‘Knitting for Dummies’ no-frills Basic Socks pattern for my first attempt at knitting in the round. And, true to the pattern, they be socks*. Odd socks of course.

To be frank I am chuffed. What I like about the socks is that they are substantially more 3D and constructed than my earlier scarf projects. Seeing a sock literally grow on the end of your knitting sticks is entrancing. In gas bill terms, since they are as thrifty as boiling a kettle filled with just enough water for the number of cups of tea required, one can never have too many woolly socks for pootling about in. Me thinks I’ll be knitting more.

*For those techie knitters out there I used 4x50g balls Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Chunky, shade 023 - Red Ink and Debbie Bliss merino dk scraps for the heels.

knitted socks

At the same time as I was working on the Basic Socks I ploughed through making this pair in Regia 4ply sock wool that I’d been given by a well-meaning mate as encouragement. I followed the free pattern that came with the wool.I was frustrated by the yarn repeatedly petering out and having to start new lengths, holding the loose ends for a round or so to maintain the tension and prevent holes forming! In truth I was underwhelmed by the colours and combination thereof and the ONLY thing that kept me going to the end was the prospect of learning how to graft the toe.

BACK

0 comments:

About the fakesters

subscribe to fake-faux

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
  Subscribe to feed
betty woz ere
a day in hand
Real Bread Campaign
Chicken Out! Campaign Sign-up